Hi! My name is Jeff Painter and I am a 6th year Ph.D. candidate in the Department of Anthropology at Michigan State University. I am a new CHI fellow this year, and am excited to learn all about digital approaches to cultural heritage and develop new skills.

Outside of CHI, I am an archaeologist whose research focuses on exploring the ways that coalescent, or multi-ethnic, communities were created and sustained in the past. I specifically approach this topic through foodways and cooking, examining the many ways that food could be used to help bring people together.  My case study for this project is Morton Village, a occupation site located in the central Illinois River valley that dates to A.D. 1300-1400.

As a CHI fellow, I am interested in the ways in which digital technologies can be used to further archaeological research in an accessible manner. I am also excited by the possibilities of using digital platforms to reach new audiences, greatly increasing the reach of our public outreach and education activities. While I am still thinking about what kind of project I will work on this year, it is my hope that it will include a significant outreach component.

Stay tuned for later updates, and feel free to follow me on Twitter @Jeff__Painter