Mapping Morton Village: Finalizing the Site and Pushing to New URL
In the past few weeks Autumn and I allowed some of our friends and family, with varying levels of archaeological experience, to view the site to see if it is user friendly. With some of their constructive comments, we first added some language to the intro pop-up to better explain our map page.
Then we realized the map didn’t have a lot of information outside of our pop-ups for each topic. So we added descriptions of ‘Structures’ at the site so the user can learn a little bit more about our excavations. This includes basic information for unexcavated structures and a brief description of the structures we have excavated and what we have found in them.
Once we added these elements to our site, we decided to push our pages to our official URL where the project will live after our fellowship ends. We will provide the new URL on our project launch post (coming soon), but I wanted to briefly describe what this entailed. I went to our Github Repository, where we’ve been constructing our site and housing all of our pages, and downloaded a ZIP file of all of our project files (all html, CSS, JS, and photos). I then used the Cyberduck program and connected with our server location. Then I simply clicked and pulled our project files into the ‘public_html’ folder in Cyberduck. I then went to our new site URL and it was populated with all of our content.
We have been invited to give a presentation on Mapping Morton Village at the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and Media at George Mason University on May 2nd. We are so excited for this opportunity to talk about the CHI Fellowship, digital cultural heritage, and our project. We plan to officially launch our site before our presentation, so look for our launch blog post, which we will post shortly.
If anyone has any questions or comments we would love to hear from you!