Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

2016 January

Sara Bijani

By

January 30, 2016

Simulacra and Simulation and my Journey into the Third Order of Copyright Law

January 30, 2016 | By | No Comments

I’ve been thinking a lot about what it means to protect a representation these days. Anyone remember reading Baudrillard? I remember reading that whole treatise on simulated reality years ago and associating the whole thing with war and television. These days, I’m pretty sure he was thinking about copyright. Just kidding. I’m pretty sure he was thinking about high modernity and everything that travels with it, including copyright. “Capital, which is immoral and unscrupulous, can only function behind a moral superstructure,” a hellish and mundane everyday space from which rules of ownership and entitlement emanate, along with all the other things that make the late industrial age go round.[1]

Read More

Bernard C. Moore

By

January 29, 2016

The Process of Digitization

January 29, 2016 | By | No Comments

My past couple of posts have been more on the political and ethical side of digitizing materials for the Namibia Digital Repository. This post will approach the project from the other side: the process of digitization. For those who are conducting historical research, digitizing materials is a necessity if we are going to ever finish these dissertations in an organized and structured manner. So even for those who aren’t pursuing a digitization project for their CHI Fellowship, this blog post may help you in other ways.

Read More

Lisa Bright

By

January 28, 2016

Changing Directions – Introducing TOMB

January 28, 2016 | By | No Comments

As Katy mentioned in our recent Digital Archaeology Institute blog post, she and I have decided to take our project in a different direction. We originally proposed a project called ossuaryKB, a mortuary method knowledge base. However, as we’ve been working toward the project over the last semester, we hit quite a few roadblocks. After sitting down recently we realized that ossurayKB wasn’t really the project we had a passion for. What we really wanted to make was a tool that was more orientated towards the public learning about mortuary archaeology. So we are proud to announce our new project… TOMB: The Online Map of Bioarchaeology.

TOMB will center around an interactive map featuring case studies and exemplars from mortuary archaeology and bioarchaeological studies. The site will be a space for students and the public to learn more about this field, and still serve as a place for anthropologists to share their research and provide updates. For more details on the project description, please see Katy’s blog post.

This refocusing of the project means that my goals for CHI will also change. Previously I’d discussed the challenges surrounding building a SQL database for ossuaryKB. TOMB will require a different set of technical resources. Over the next three months, I will build the functional structure of the site using a combination of Bootstrap and Leaflet . Specifically, I will be using the open web mapping application template developed by Bryan McBride called bootleaf.

The bootleaf template is available on Github (https://github.com/bmcbride/bootleaf), and well commented. Although I’ve created a website centered around mapping before using bootstrap (Mortuary Mapping), I used CartoDB to make the maps. This will be my first time using leaflet. Thankfully my project partner Katy used bootleaf to create IELDRAN, and have excellent comments on her use of bootleaf on her Github repository(https://github.com/bonesdontlie/Commented-ieldran).

We’re both very excited about the potential TOMB creates, and I look forward to sharing my bootleaf learning experience.

Nikki Silva

By

January 27, 2016

Mapping Morton Village: Creating the Interactive Map

January 27, 2016 | By | No Comments

Creating the Interactive Map

For the past two weeks, as Autumn Beyer worked on coding our site, I have been working on the interactive map for our joint CHI Fellowship project – Mapping Morton Village. I had some problems at the beginning, including a computer that would not function and some confusion as to the format required for the map data, which have both been remedied. We are using Mapbox to create the maps, which requires the maps to be georeferenced (i.e. assigning real world coordinates to the map). I already had shapefiles for the map – however our map was not georeferenced to real-world coordinates, but to our own site grid. I contacted the co-project director for the Morton Village Archaeological Project, Dr. Michael Conner at Dickson Mounds Museum in Lewistown, IL and he was able to send me georeferenced shapefiles (Thanks Mike!). Read More

Autumn Beyer

By

January 26, 2016

Mapping Morton Village: Coding the Website

January 26, 2016 | By | No Comments

Mapping Morton Village — writing the basic code for the website.

For the past two weeks, I have been working on the code for my joint CHI Fellowship project with Nikki SilvaMapping Morton Village. We knew the general structure of what we wanted the site to look like and using a bootstrap theme I created the foundation for our website.

However, I did have some issues at the beginning. I first attempted to combine two different bootstrap themes (a header theme and a footer theme), to get the look that we wanted, which turned out to not be the best approach. There were contrasting CSS styles that caused the footer of the website to not stay in the correct place and or have the size we wanted. After trying, for longer than I would like to admit, I realized that I needed to just start over!

Read More